The achievement of the Association for Project Management (APM) 'Introductory Certificate: The APM Project Fundamentals Qualification' is an excellent way to demonstrate a basic awareness of project management and how projects differ from 'business as usual' activities. Delivered by fully accredited trainers and industry leading experts with extensive experience of applying the APM approach, the course ensures that delegates gain sufficient understanding to be confident in the practical application of project management as an informed team member.
This course is suitable for those looking to gain an understanding of project management, or those who are not directly involved in project management but who wish to become familiar with project management processes and key terms.
It is also ideal for project managers as a pre-cursor to more advanced certification such as the APMP: The APM Project Management Qualification.
The APM Introductory Certificate exam is scheduled at a convenient time to this course. Please contact us to discuss availability and pricing quoting code FPMEX-3.
This is an intensive two-day course and delegates will be expected to undertake around 10 hours pre-course work in order to be fully prepared. Delegates will be provided with pre-course reading by email prior to attending the course. Success on the course will be enhanced by close attention to the pre-reading materials.
Delegates who have not received pre-course reading material within one week of the start of the course should contact their QA Account Manager or email email@example.com.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Differentiate between project management and the operating environment
- Define the management structure by which projects operate
- Apply project management planning
- Describe project scope management
- Contribute to scheduling and resource management
- Apply risk management and issue management
- Define project quality management
- Manage communication in the project environment
- Recognise the importance of stakeholder management
- Explain principles of leadership and teamwork
The Introductory Certificate: The APM Project Fundamentals Qualification course follows the syllabus provided by APM, which is built around the APM Body of Knowledge 6th edition. The course provides delegates with a broad understanding of the underpinning tools, techniques and principles that are fundamental to successful project delivery.
The course is intensive and therefore delegates are also advised to undertake some revision work in the evening to prepare for the Introductory Certificate examination that will be taken at the end of the course. The additional work required during evenings will comprise consolidation reading and mock examination questions
Project Management and the Operating Environment
Projects are undertaken in a unique environment. Delegates are introduced to the factors that shape that environment.
- Differences between a project and business as usual
- Purpose and core components of project management and the benefits of effective project management
- Programme and portfolio management
- Project environment and the PESTLE acronym
- Use and phases of a typical project life cycle and reasons for structuring projects into phases
- Roles and responsibilities of: project manager, project sponsor, project steering group/board, project team members, project office and end users
Project Management Planning
Delegates are introduced to the principles and techniques of effective project planning from the outset.
- Purpose and the typical content of a business case, including benefits
- Purpose and production of a project management plan
- Stakeholders, stakeholder management and stakeholder analysis
- Estimating methods (including analytical, comparative, parametric), estimating funnel,
- Success criteria, success factors and the use of KPIs
- Purpose and benefits of project reporting
- Project scope management, including product and work breakdown structures and Responsibility Assignment Matrix (RAM) with RACI
- Configuration management and change control
- Different approaches to scheduling (including critical path analysis, Gantt (bar) charts, baselines and milestones)
- Resource management
- Procurement within the context of project management
- Risk management and issue management
- Project risk management process and the use of a risk register
- Issue and issue management and the use of an issue log
In addition to understanding the tools and techniques of project management the key aspects of engaging with people are covered.
- Definition and methods of communication
- Barriers to effective communication
- The communication plan
- Leadership and teamwork
- Role of project team leader
- Teamwork models
Introductory Certificate: The APM Project Fundamentals Qualification Examination (not included in price of this course)
If delegates want to sit the exam, please call us to book and enquire about pricing quoting code FPMEX-3
Key exam information:
- One hour
- Closed book
- 60 multiple-choice questions
- 60% pass mark
Throughout the Introductory Certificate: The APM Project Fundamentals Qualification course, delegates will be provided with lots of examples of examination questions. There will be a number of exercises and 'question-and-answer' sessions that will help to consolidate the learning, thereby ensuring that delegates are more than adequately prepared for the final examination.
Please note: delegates must bring photographic identification with them on the exam day (e.g. passport, driving license, company secure access card, student card) as it is an examination requirement to present it to the invigilator prior to the exam. Failure to produce a valid form of photographic identification may result in a candidate not being able to sit the exams. For any questions about what form of identification is acceptable, please contact your Account Manager or the QA Examination
Please note, this course does not include the exam in the cost. To book the exam and take it at the end of your course please book on code FPMEX-3 with one of our team.