This course provides an introduction to Java programming and how to use the popular Eclipse Integrated Development Environment (IDE) and teaches the fundamentals of Java and object-oriented programming.
It provides an understanding for delegates with no prior experience of those subject areas and is taught as a series of presentations, walk through examples and practical exercises to build basic Java projects and use the functionality in the Eclipse IDE before moving on to more complex examples where delegates will write graphical user interfaces and simple web-based Java applications.
You will require prior experience with the concepts of computer programming, however no experience of Java is assumed.
- Install and setup Java and Eclipse IDE
- Write programs and run them from both the command line and the IDE
- Understand the basics of Java programming
- Creating objects and methods
- Control flow within methods
- Manipulating data
- Access control
- Write programs ranging from simple command line programs through to full GUI applications
- Write web applications using J2EE and Java applets
- Develop functional programming using Java 8
- Package Java files to use as executables or for deployment to web servers
Introduction to Java and Eclipse
- Introduction to Java
- Installing Java and Eclipse
- Creating our first project
- Running Java programs from the command line and IDE
- Expressions, comments and blocks
- Primitive Types
- Simple Maths and Logical Expressions
- What is control flow?
- Nesting statements
- Debugging in Eclipse
Introduction to Objects
- What is an object
- Introduction to Java Objects
- Creating Objects
- Generating the boilerplate in Eclipse
- What is Javadoc
- The Java API
- Writing our own documentation
Inheritance and Interfaces
- Inheritance hierarchies in Java
- Abstract Classes
Collections and Generics
- What are collections
- Basic Collection methods
- A more in depth look at the collections
- Iterating over collections
- Sorting collections
- What are generics?
- Collections and Generics
- The Try ... Catch ... Finally block
- Writing our own exceptions
UI / Swing
- What is Swing?
- Creating a UI
- GUI elements
- Drawing directly to the screen
- The Eclipse WindowBuilder
Applets and Web Applications
- What are applets?
- What are Web Applications?
- An introduction to J2EE
- Creating web applications in eclipse
Functional Programming in Java 8
- What is functional programming?
- Lambda Expressions
- Default Methods
Packaging it all up
- Creating executable files
- Creating jars
- Creating wars