The course is Part 1 of a series of two that provide the skills and knowledge necessary to implement a core Windows Server 2012 Infrastructure in an existing enterprise environment.
The two courses collectively cover implementing, managing, maintaining and provisioning services and infrastructure in a Windows Server 2012 environment. While there is some cross-over in skillset and tasks across the courses, M2041020411 primarily covers the initial implementation, configuration and administration of those core services, such as Active Directory Domain Services, networking services and initial Hyper-V configuration.
This course is an accelerated event delivered between 9.00 and 5.30 each day and pre-requisite knowledge is assumed to enable completion of the content. Some subjects may be discussed at high pace and , if an delegate does not possess the pre-course requirements in such subjects they will have access additional course material to help cover the basic knowledge they are missing.
M2041020411 is intended for Information Technology (IT) Professionals who have Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003 MCSA/MCSE level working knowledge. Previous certification is not required. The IT Professional that attends this course will want to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to implement the core infrastructure services in an existing Windows Server 2012 environment. It would also be expected that a delegate will have good Windows client skills in at least Windows 7.
Those intending to take the 70-410 or the 70-411 exam will also benefit from attendance at this course.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Install and Configure Windows Server 2012
- Install Active Directory Domain Controllers
- Automating Active Directory Domain Services Administration
- Implementing IPv6
- Implementing Local Storage
- Optimizing File Services
- Configuring Encryption and Advanced Auditing
- Securing Windows Servers by Using Group Policy Objects
- Managing User Desktops with Group Policies
- Implementing Server Virtualization with Hyper-V
- Maintaining Active Directory Domain Services
- Configuring and Troubleshooting Remote Access
- Installing, Configuring, and Troubleshooting the Network Policy Server Role
- Implementing Network Access Protection
Module 1: Deploying and Managing Windows Server 2012
This module introduces the new Windows Server 2012 administrative interface. This module covers the different roles and features that are available with the Windows Server 2012 operating system. It also discusses the various installation options from which you can choose when deploying Windows Server 2012.
- Windows Server 2012 Overview
- Overview of Windows Server 2012 Management
- Post-Installation Configuration of Windows Server 2012
- Introduction to Windows PowerShell
Lab : Deploying and Managing Windows Server 2012
- Configuring Windows Server 2012 Core
- Managing Servers
- Using Windows PowerShell to Manage Servers
Module 2: Introduction to Active Directory Domain Services
This module will just discuss the new was to install a Windows Server 2012 Domain Controller
Lab : Installing Domain Controllers
- Installing a Domain Controller
- Installing a Domain Controller by using IFM
Module 3: Automating Active Directory Domain Services Administration
This module covers using command-line tools to configure and administer Active Directory Domain Services. It introduces Windows PowerShell and Active Directory Cmdlets to perform bulk administrative operations.
- Using Command-line Tools for Administration
- Using Windows PowerShell for Administration
- Performing Bulk Operations with Windows PowerShell
Lab : Automating AD DS Administration by Using Windows PowerShell
- Creating User Accounts and Groups by Using Windows PowerShell
- Using Windows PowerShell to Create User Accounts in Bulk
- Using Windows PowerShell to Modify User Accounts in Bulk
Module 4: Implementing IPv6
This module covers understanding and implementing IPv6 addressing. It covers configuration and troubleshooting as well as co-existence with IPv4 using transition technologies.
- Overview of IPv6
- IPv6 Addressing
- Coexistence with IPv6
- IPv6 Transition Technologies
Lab : Implementing IPv6
- Configuring an IPv6 Network
- Configuring an ISATAP Router
Module 5: Implementing Local Storage
This module covers the storage configuration options for Windows server 2012, including managing disks and volumes and implementing file systems. It also covers creating and managing Storage Pools.
- Overview of Storage
- Managing Disks and Volumes
- Implementing Storage Pools
Lab : Implementing Local Storage
- Installing and Configuring a New Disk
- Resizing Volumes
- Configuring a Storage Pool
- Configuring a Redundant Storage Space
Module 6: Optimizing File Services
This module covers File Server Resource Manager (FSRM) and how to use it to implement Quotas, file screens and Storage Reports. It will also outline how to implement Classification Management and File Management Tasks as well as covering how to implement DFS, DFS Namespaces and configuring and troubleshooting DFS Replication.
- Overview of FSRM
- Using FSRM to Manage Quotas, File Screens, and Storage Reports
- Implementing Classification Management and File Management Tasks
- DFS Overview
- Configuring DFS Namespaces
- Configuring and Troubleshooting DFS Replication
Lab : Lab A: Configuring Quotas and File Screening Using FSRM
- Configuring FSRM Quotas
- Configuring File Screening
Lab : Lab B: Configuring DFS Namespaces and Replication
- Installing and Configuring the DFS Namespaces Server Role
- Configuring DFS Folder Targets
- Configuring DFS Replication
Module 7: Configuring Encryption and Advanced Auditing
This module covers how to increase file system security by configuring file encryption with Encrypting File System (EFS) as well as how to enable and implement advanced auditing features.
- Encrypting Network Files with EFS
- Configuring Advanced Auditing
Lab : Lab A: Encrypting and Recovering Files
Lab : Lab B: Implementing Advanced Audit Policy Configuration
Module 8: Securing Windows Servers by Using Group Policy Objects.
This module covers increasing security on Windows servers by using Group Policy objects. Configuring security settings via group policy.
- Windows Security Overview
- Security Settings
- Restricting Software
- Configuring Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
Lab : Lab A: Increasing Security for Server Resources
- Using Group Policy to Secure Member Servers
- Auditing File System Access
- Auditing Domain Logons
Lab : Lab B: Configuring AppLocker and Windows Firewall
- Configuring AppLocker Policies
- Configuring Windows Firewall
Module 9: Managing User Desktops with Group Policy
This module covers implementing administrative templates, how to configure GPO preferences and folder redirection as well as managing software with Group Policy.
- Implementing Administrative Templates
- Configuring Group Policy Preferences
- Managing Software with GPSI
Lab : Managing User Desktops with Group Policy
- Deploying Software Using Group Policy
- Implementing Settings Using Group Policy Preferences
- Configuring Folder Redirection
Module 10: Implementing Server Virtualization with Hyper-V
This module covers installing and configuring Hyper-V virtual machines as well as understanding and describing Microsoft Virtualization technologies. It also covers configuring virtual storage and virtual networks.
- Overview of Virtualization Technologies
- Implementing Hyper-V
- Managing Virtual Machine Storage
- Managing Virtual Networks
Lab : Implementing Server Virtualization with Hyper-V
- Installing the Hyper-V Server Role
- Configuring Virtual Networking
- Creating and Configuring a Virtual Machine
- Using Virtual Machine Snapshots
Module 11: Maintaining Active Directory Domain Services
This module covers how to implement Virtualized and Read Only Domain Controllers as well as how to perform common AD DS administrative tasks. The module will also cover how to manage the AD DS database.
- Implementing Virtualized Domain Controllers
- Implementing Read Only Domain Controllers
- Administering AD DS
- Managing the AD DS Database
Lab : Maintaining Active Directory Domain Services
- Deploying a Virtualized Domain Controller Clone
- Installing and Configuring a Read Only Domain Controller
- Configuring and Viewing Active Directory Snapshots
- Configuring the Active Directory Recycle Bin
- Module 12: Configuring and Troubleshooting Remote Access
- This module covers configuring network access, creating and configuring virtual private networks (VPNs) and Network Policies as well as troubleshooting routing and remote access. It will also cover configuration of DirectAccess.
- Configuring Network Access
- Configuring VPN Access
- Overview of Network Policies
- Troubleshooting Routing and Remote Access
- Configuring DirectAccess
Lab : Configuring and Troubleshooting Remote Access
- Configuring a VPN Server
- Configuring a Network Policy for VPN Clients
- Configuring Direct Access
Module 13: Installing, Configuring, and Troubleshooting the Network Policy Server Role
This module covers installing and configuring NPS as well as remote authentication dial in user service (RADIUS) clients and servers. It will also deal with NPS authentication methods and monitoring and troubleshooting a NPS.
- Installing and Configuring a Network Policy Server
- Configuring RADIUS Clients and Servers
- NPS Authentication Methods
- Monitoring and Troubleshooting a Network Policy Server
Lab : Installing and Configuring a Network Policy Server
- Installing and Configuring NPS to Support RADIUS
- Configuring a RADIUS Client
Module 14: Implementing Network Access Protection
This module will provide an overview of NAP, detailing the functionality and infrastructure requirements. It will also cover configuration, monitoring and troubleshooting NAP.
- Overview of Network Access Protection
- How NAP Works
- Configuring NAP
- Monitoring and Troubleshooting NAP
Lab : Implementing Network Access Protection
- Configuring NAP Components
- Configuring the Client Settings to Support NAP
This course may be available for you to purchase through the Microsoft Software Assurance voucher scheme. To book courses using vouchers please call our sales team on 0845 757 3888. Or for more information on claiming vouchers you can speak to our dedicated Software Assurance administration team on 01753 898 351.