This three-day instructor-led course provides students with the knowledge and skills to provision a Microsoft SQL Server 2016 database. The course covers SQL Server 2016 provision both on-premise and in Azure, and covers installing from new and migrating from an existing install.
The primary audience for this course is individuals who administer and maintain SQL Server databases. These individuals perform database administration and maintenance as their primary area of responsibility, or work in environments where databases play a key role in their primary job.
The secondary audiences for this course are individuals who develop applications that deliver content from SQL Server databases.
This course requires that you meet the following prerequisites:
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
- Working knowledge of Transact-SQL.
- Working knowledge of relational databases.
- Some experience with database design
- These prerequisites can be achieved by attending course 20761A - Querying Data with Transact-SQL.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Provision a Database Server
- Upgrade SQL Server
- Configure SQL Server
- Manage Databases and Files (shared)
Module 1: SQL Server 2016 Components
Describe the SQL Server platform, SQL Server services, and SQL Server configuration options.
- Introduction to the SQL Server Platform
- Overview of SQL Server Architecture
- SQL Server Services and Configuration Options
Module 2: Installing SQL Server 2016
This modules describes the process to install SQL Server 2016.
- Considerations for installing SQL Server
- TempDB Files
- Installing SQL Server 2016
- Automating Installation
Lab : Installing SQL Server
Module 3: Upgrading SQL Server to SQL Server 2016
This module describes how you go about upgrading your current SQL Server installation to SQL Server 2016.
- Upgrade Requirements
- Upgrade SQL Server Services
- Migrating SQL Server Data and Applications
Lab : Upgrading SQL Server
Module 4: Deploying SQL Server on Microsoft Azure
This module describes the options available to run SQL Server on Azure.
- SQL Server Virtual Machines in Azure
- Deploying an Azure SQL Database
- Migrating an On-Premise Database to an Azure SQL Database
Lab : Migrating SQL Server with Azure
Module 5: Working with Databases
This module describes the preinstalled system databases, the physical structure of databases and the most common configuration options related to them.
- Overview of SQL Server Databases
- Creating Databases
- Database Files and Filegroups
- Moving Database Files
- Buffer Pool Extension
Lab : Managing Database Storage
Module 6: Database Storage Options
At the end of this module you will be able to describe the database storage options.
- SQL Server storage Performance
- SMB Fileshare
- SQL Server Storage in Azure
- Stretch Databases
Lab : Implementing Stretch Database
Module 7: Performing Database Maintenance
This module covers database maintenance.
- Ensuring Database Integrity
- Maintaining Indexes
- Automating Routine Database Maintenance
Lab : Performing on-going database maintenance