Combined Foundation and practitioner in Agile Testing (inc. examination)
This 5-day combined course provides comprehensive first-class training for anyone involved in software testing in to gain a solid understanding of the basic concepts together what a candidate ‘can do’ in terms of practical application of knowledge, skills and behaviours of software testing in Agile environments.
The first two days covers the syllabus of the ISTQB Agile Tester – Foundation Level Extension (QAATF) course designed for professionals who are working within Agile environments. It is also for professionals who are planning to start implementing Agile methods in the near future, or are working within companies that plan to do so, The course provides an advantage for those who would like to know the required Agile activities, roles, methods, and methodologies specific to their role. This course will provide the theoretical Agile knowledge needed for the Practitioner part.
The last three days covers, Practitioner in Agile Quality (QAPAQ) course, the newest member of the (Alliance for Qualification (A4Q) suite of Agile courses, that is a practical focus accelerated learning Agile certification. It is designed to allow people with current Agile knowledge to take their skills to a practitioner level in an intensive learning environment. The course is designed for the whole team, as everyone has an equal responsibility for product quality. It covers the key competencies required to function effectively and efficiently whilst delivering quality. The course is focused on practical application, experiential and collaborative learning through discussion and exercises.
The course is aimed at the following groups of professionals:
- Anyone currently involved in testing or about to move into a testing role
- Professionals who have achieved in-depth testing experience in traditional methods and would like to gain more formal training on Agile and attain the PAQ certificate
- Junior professional testers who are just starting in the testing profession, and would like to know more about the tester’s role in Agile environment.
- Professionals who are relatively new to testing and are required to implement test approaches, methods and techniques in their day to day job.
- Professionals who are experienced in their role (including unit testing) and need more understanding and knowledge about how to perform and manage testing on all levels in Agile projects.
- This course is designed for anyone wanting to improve their Agile skills and ensure accelerated quality delivery of working software. This includes developers, BA’s, Project Managers, Team Leaders, Testers, Scrum Masters and all other members of an Agile delivery team.
On the first 2 days, during the Agile Foundation course, the delegates will learn:
- The Fundamentals of Agile Software Development
- The different agile approaches
- The Differences between Testing in Traditional and Agile Approaches
- Testing in Agile Projects
- Roles and skills of a tester in Agile Projects
- Agile testing techniques and methods
- Assess product quality risks within an Agile project
- Estimate testing effort based on iteration content and quality risks
- Tools in Agile Projects
In the last 3 days, the course will cover the Practitioner in Agile Quality (PAQ) course, delegates will learn and demonstrate during both the PAQ course and practical assessment knowledge, skills and behaviours that candidates capable of achieving/demonstrating by the areas and outcomes listed below:
- Agile Mindset – Prove that they can put into practice all the soft skills appropriate to the agile mindset aligned to the agile manifesto and principles
- Faster Delivery – Optimise delivery through implementing efficiencies and effective practices, maximising the work not done
- Build Quality In – Implement the team activities to ensure the product quality objectives for each persona are met from inception throughout the product lifecycle
- Engineering Principles – Build the right product, right first time maximising Business value using repeatable, auditable and adaptable processes, whilst minimising technical debt
- Continuous Testing – Support the integration of code by iterating through plan, build, test multiple times per day, in order to complete committed items aligned to acceptance criteria and the iteration definition of done
- Scalability – Identify additional risks and changes required to effectively scale processes based on team size and/or distribution
Delegates should already have a basic working knowledge of IT and an understanding of the testing role in software development.Successful completion of the BCS ISTQB Foundation Certification in Software Testing is a prerequisite to taking this course.
Day 1 & Day 2: ISTQB Foundation Level Extension – Agile Tester
Understand the fundamentals of Agile Software Development
How the various agile approaches differ and understanding the concepts of the Agile Manifesto; How the tester needs to adapt in the agile process for maximum effectiveness; Apply the various aspects relating to agile, such as: Writing and reviewing User Stories, Working in a continuous integrated environment and Performing agile retrospectives to improve the process
Apply the fundamental Agile testing principles, practices and processes
How testing differs when working in an agile lifecycle compared to a more traditional lifecycle; How to work in a highly collaborative and integrated environment; How independent testing can be used within an agile project; How to report progress and the quality of the product to business stakeholders; Understand the role and skills of a tester within an agile team.
Know the key testing methods, techniques and tools to use within an Agile project
Understand Test Driven Development (TDD), Acceptance Driven Development (ADD), Behaviour Driven Development (BDD) and the concepts of Test Pyramid; perform the role of a tester within a Scrum team; execute exploratory testing within an agile project; recognise the various tools available to the tester for the various agile activities.
Day 3 – Day 5: Practitioner in Agile Quality
Agile Manifesto and Principles
Introduction, Engineering Principles, Practical Exercises, Fast Delivery, Sprint Practice Exercises
Retrospectives, Planning, Continuous Testing, Build Quality In, Mock Practical Exam
Team and Examination
Debt & TDD, Agile Mindset, Sprint Practice Exercise, Scalability, Practical Examination including Scenario
Candidates are assessed at the end of the couThe QAPAQ will prepare delegates to take the practical assessment taken under controlled exam conditions. The Assessment measures candidates against the PAQ Competency Framework. This is now available online via remote proctoring. Delegate can take the exam at any location at the time of their choosing. More information will be provided during the course.
The assessment exam will be on-line with a duration of 2.5 hours. It has two parts:
- Practical: This ‘hands-on’ practical assessment is in the form of a Sample Project which includes a product backlog release that includes user stories, associated design documentation plus a ‘multi-drop’ application seeded with defects. This will contribute 90 credits
- Scenario questions: there will be 1 or 2 scenarios with questions associated with each (up to 5 questions in total across the scenarios). Note: these are not multiple choice but written answers. This will contributes 10 credits.
The exam is 2.5 hrs and delegates will requires to achieve a total of 60 (60%) credits to pass. Candidates whose native language or day-to-day business language is not the exam language can apply for 25% extra time.
On passing, they are awarded the PAQ certificate. Any candidate failing will have an opportunity to schedule a re-sit with QA.
Delegates have the option of taking the ISTQB Agile tester – Foundation Level Extension exam, taken via Pearson Vue after the course. This is a 1 hour (and extra 15 minutes is given to people who do not have English as their first language), 40 question multiple-choice exam with the pass mark being 65%. Please note that you must hold the ISTQB® Foundation certificate in Software Testing in order to sit this exam.
Soft Skills exhibited during the course
During the course, candidates will be evaluated against the soft skills and behaviours listed under the ‘Agile Mindset’ Competency Area. The PAQ course contains various exercises that will enable candidates to exhibit these characteristics. Qualified trainers will be able to observe these and provide any feedback to encourage candidates to improve their soft skills.
As such, the course is designed to engage with candidates with a view to help them exhibit the Agile Mindset competencies as opposed to a static observation of the skills and behaviours exhibited.
The soft skills evaluation is NOT part of the PAQ exam and as such is not assessed as a pass or fail. However, individual evaluation by the trainer will be provided to each candidate at the end of the course.