Power Systems for AIX – PowerVM I Implementing Virtualization
This course provides an overview of the PowerVM edition's features on POWER processor-based systems. It explains the new features and benefits of virtualization including processor virtualization, Virtual I/O Server, and virtual devices, such as virtual Ethernet, virtual SCSI, and virtual Fibre Channel adapters. Basic and advanced configurations of the Virtual I/O Server and its clients are discussed including various availability options.
Expand your knowledge about PowerVM features that were introduced in Power Systems for AIX I: LPAR Configuration and Planning (AN11G).
This course provides lectures and hands on labs in an instructor lead course environment, either in a face-to-face classroom or in a live virtual classroom environment (ILO - Instructor Led Online).
This advanced course is appropriate for System Administrators, Technical Support Personnel, and Business Partners responsible for implementing LPARs on IBM Power Systems with AIX servers.
- Configure virtual SCSI devices that are backed by physical volumes, logical volumes, and optical media devices
- Configure the Optical Media Repository, load a CD image, and use it to install a new AIX partition
- Configure virtual Fibre channel devices using NPIV technology
- Configure Ethernet link aggregation for load balancing and backup channel in the VIOS
- Configure Shared Ethernet adapter failover and load sharing
- Configure vNIC failover
- Perform Virtual I/O Server maintenance operations
You must have advanced system administration experience with AIX 6 or AIX 7. This prerequisite can be met by attending one of the following courses:
Power Systems for AIX II: Implementation and Administration (AN12G)
Power Systems for AIX III: Advanced Administration and Problem Determination (AN15G)
AIX Jumpstart for UNIX Professionals (AN14G)
Alternatively, you must have equivalent AIX and LPAR skills.
General TCP/IP knowledge is strongly recommended.
You are also expected to have logical partition administration skills on Power Systems servers, which can be obtained by attending Power Systems for AIX I: LPAR Configuration and Planning (AN11G).
- Unit 1: Introduction to partitioning
- Exercise 1: Power Systems documentation overview
- Unit 2: HMC V8 enhancements
- Exercise 2: HMC enhanced interface
- Unit 3: Processor virtualization
- Exercise 3: Processor virtualization configuration
- Unit 4: Virtual Ethernet
- Exercise 4: Virtual Ethernet adapter configuration
- Unit 5: Virtual I/O Server and Shared Ethernet Adapter
- Exercise 5: Virtual I/O Server configuration
- Unit 6: Virtual SCSI devices
- Exercise 6: Client partition configuration
- Unit 7: Virtual network configuration with dual VIOS
- Exercise 7: SEA failover setup
- Unit 8: Virtual SCSI configurations with dual VIOS
- Exercise 8: Dual VIO server configuration with MPIO in the client partition
- Unit 9: Virtual Fibre Channel devices
- Exercise 9: Virtual Fibre Channel adapter configuration
- Unit 10: HMC Service Management
- Exercise 10: Manage service events
- Unit 11: PowerVM advanced systems maintenance
- Exercise 11: PowerVM system maintenance
- Exercise 12: (Optional) File-backed virtual SCSI devices