Microsoft Project Advanced
You have already learnt how to create and edit basic plans in Microsoft Project. You will now see how to manage cost effectively and track the progress of plans in Project. You will exchange project plan data with other applications, customise elements and reuse project plan information.
You have already learnt how to create a task list with suitable dependencies, durations and how to assign and manage resources in Microsoft Project.
You will now see how to manage multiple projects side-by-side, share resources across projects, exchange project plan data with other applications via import and export, plus manage cost effectively. You will use some advanced tracking techniques to add progress to project plans, customise elements and reuse project plan information. Crucially you will see how to report on your project in and out of Microsoft Project.
Note, this course does not cover browser based versions of Microsoft Project, such as Project for the Web, Project Online or Project Web App.
This course is designed for a person who has an existing understanding of project management concepts, who already has the skills to create and modify project plans using Microsoft Project, and who needs to use Microsoft Project to further manage and customise those plans through the implementation stage of a project.
This course is suitable for anyone using Microsoft Project Standard or Professional, versions 2013, 2016, 2019 and/or the cloud hosted Project Online Desktop Client software. Users of Microsoft Project 2010 will notice significant differences around the reporting functionality as well as the look and feel.
- Manage project costs
- Work with multiple projects and share resources across project files
- Exchange project plan data with other applications
- Update and ‘track’ a project plan with advanced techniques
- Edit existing and create custom reports. Use external application for reports
- Customise Project to meet specific requirements
- An understanding of project management concepts.
- You will know how to:
- Create a Project plan from scratch
- Set dependencies between tasks
- Assign resources to tasks in a plan
- Add standard progress to a plan
Dual monitor setup IS REQUIRED for when attending this course via the QA Attend from Anywhere delivery method.
Project Introduction Course – Consolidation
Module 1: Manage Costs in Microsoft Project
- Topic A: Create Different Cost Rates for Resources
- Topic B: Change the Resource Cost on Individual Tasks
- Topic C: Alter Costs Based on Time Periods
- Topic D: Assign Overtime Costs and Work to Resources
Module 2: Working with Multiple Projects
- Topic A: Combining Multiple Projects as a Programme
- Topic B: Creating a Shared Resource Pool
- Topic C: Assigning Resources using a Resource Pool
- Topic D: Using Cost Rate Tables with a Resource Pool
- Topic E: Identifying the Critical Path or Paths in a Programme
Module 3: Import and Export Information
- Topic A: File Formats Supported by Microsoft Project
- Topic B: Mapping Project Information
- Topic C: Exporting Microsoft Project Information
- Topic D: Importing Information into Microsoft Project
Module 4: Tracking Progress and Project Actuals
- Topic A: Moving a Project
- Topic B: Entering Task Progress as Scheduled
- Topic C: Updating and Monitoring Progress using a Status Date
- Topic D: Updating Actuals
- Topic E: Reschedule Incomplete Work
Module 5: Reporting on Projects
- Topic A: Reporting on Progress
- Topic B: Manipulate Built-In Reports
- Topic C: Earned Value Reporting
- Topic D: Work with Multiple Baselines
- Topic E: Distribute Project Data in Other Formats
Module 6: Customising Microsoft Project
- Topic A: Working with the Timeline Feature
- Topic B: Create Custom Fields
- Topic C: Create Custom Filters
- Topic D: Create Custom Tables
- Topic E: Create Custom Views
- Topic F: Create Custom Reports
- Topic G: Create Templates
- Topic H: Using the Organizer
- Appendix 1: Microsoft Project – Feature and Version Matrix Project
- Appendix 2: Agile in Microsoft
- Appendix 3: Calculation Options with Status Date
- Appendix 4: Using Interim Plans