Managing Successful Programmes: 5th Edition (MSP) Practitioner
Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) is the best-practice, proven and internationally accepted approach to the successful delivery of transformational change through the application of programme management.
MSP Practitioner is the second of the three MSP qualifications and is a pre-requisite for anyone wishing to pursue MSP Advanced Practitioner certifications. You are required to have passed MSP Foundation before attempting MSP Practitioner exam and you need to have your own copy of the Official MSP manual (ISBN - 13:9780113313273).
The purpose of the practitioner qualification is to determine whether a delegate has sufficient knowledge and understanding of the MSP guidance to apply the guidance to their own work and, hence, act as an informed member of a programme management team. That is, someone responsible for managing, leading, supporting or advising on work within an MSP environment. Delegates should be capable of applying the MSP guidance in a relatively uncomplicated programme within an environment that uses MSP.
MSP is the go-to certification and guidance for programme managers, business change managers and the next step for project managers to develop their knowledge and skills to be able to positively respond to the challenges they face when managing programmes and larger, more strategic or multiple projects.
MSP is a globally recognised framework for best practice programme management. MSP is specifically designed to address the most common challenges that organizations encounter when leading investments in change. It is designed to align programmes and projects to organizational strategy and to provide governance. It focuses on the outcomes of benefit, whilst mitigating risks and actively engaging stakeholders.
MSP can be used in conjunction with all the other best-practice products (such as PRINCE2 and MoP) and international or internal organizational standards.
MSP 5th edition consists of a set of principles, themes and processes that provide a clear roadmap for the programme lifecycle and ensure successful organizational outcomes.
Using elements from QA’s ‘Performance Based Learning’ approach, we help you to not only know MSP, but also apply and tailor it for your programmes. The course has been designed by award winning instructional designers to ensure that it provides an interactive and engaging introduction to MSP. Our experienced MSP experts explain the method through a wide range of individual and group exercises, case-study application, learning ‘games’ and practice exam questions.
- build on the knowledge gained in the Foundation course
- demonstrate sufficient ability to apply and tailor the MSP programme management framework (as described in the practitioner syllabus) to be awarded the MSP Practitioner qualification.
- be able to start applying the framework to a real programme
***To take the MSP 5th edition Practitioner course and exam, candidates are required to have MSP 5th edition Foundation certificate ***
If you hold Ed. 4 Foundation you will need to sit course PBPMSPFP.
Please speak with your QA Account manager if you hold 4th edition Foundation.
- Evolve your skills to manage larger, more complex projects – MSP is the natural next step to develop your knowledge and skills to be able to respond to challenges and boost your career
- Adopt a wider strategic approach – The vision and target operating model allow you to see the “big picture” and link actions to the wider organizational strategy
- Be highly responsive to change – with its adoption of incremental approach to the programme lifecycle MSP empowers you to be adaptable, flexible and responsive to change
Project managers, Senior project managers
- Develop a strategic mindset - the vision, target operating model and programme plan allow you take a wider strategic view and co-ordinate multiple projects ensuring they are linked to corporate objectives.
- Be adaptable and choose the most appropriate delivery mode - MSP’s multimodal delivery mode allows multiple ways of working, based on what is most suitable for you when delivering the work and on the work itself.
- Take the next step with MSP – It is an industry-recognized certification which shows you can be trusted with responsibility for business change and major shifts in organizations.
Programme managers, Business change managers
- Gain more clarity within complex environments – MSP provides a clear route through complex programmes and encourages a strategic viewpoint to deliver outcomes and benefits, without getting distracted by operational issues. The framework is designed to be flexible and adaptable through the programme lifecycle.
- Build your capability to lead business change across the organization - in the strategic context i.e. from delivering outputs to enabling a vision through the principles and themes of MSP which ensure that there is a continual focus on co-ordinating multiple projects to the agreed strategic outcomes.
- Supporting organizational agility – by adopting a multimodal delivery philosophy and emphasizing an incremental approach, MSP enables organizations to be agile, responsive and flexible.
Organization, budget decision maker
- Align projects and programmes to organizational strategy - MSP aligns programmes and projects to organizational strategy; it provides governance and focuses on the outcome of benefits for the organization.
- Stay competitive and respond to industry change – Organizations need to continually improve their ability to change to be able to react to changes in the industry. MSP is specifically designed to address common challenges such as fixed deadlines and scarce resource that organizations encounter when leading investments in change.
- Rely on proven, successfully applied framework – MSP represents proven best practice in the successful delivery of organizational change through the application of programme management.
The course focuses on the components of the MSP framework and how they help to create outcomes of benefit while mitigating risks and actively engaging stakeholders.
MSP philosophy and structure
- What is a programme and how it differs to both business as usual and project work
- Relationship between the MSP principles, governance themes and the lifecycle
The 7 MSP Principles
- Lead with purpose
- Collaborate across boundaries
- Deal with ambiguity
- Align with priorities
- Deploy diverse skills
- Realize measurable benefits
- Bring pace and value.
The 7 governance themes
The 7 processes in the programme lifecycle
- Identify the programme
- Design the outcomes
- Plan progressive delivery
- Deliver the capabilities
- Embed the outcomes
- Evaluate new information
- Close the programme
MSP practitioner examinations
PeopleCert exams take place remotely via PeopleCert Online Proctoring, and the afternoon of the last day of your course will continue with your learning until approximately 4.00pm. When booking your exam please ensure that it is for a time after the course has concluded and at a time convenient for you. You will be required to download and install ExamShield and conduct a compatibility test prior to sitting the exam.
The practitioner exam consists of;
- 70 scenario based multiple choice questions
- 2.5 hours
- Open book – MSP® 5th edition publication only
- Candidates require a minimum of 42 marks (60%) to pass
The Managing Successful Programmes: 5th Edition (MSP) Practitioner course on this page is offered by QA, ATO of AXELOS Limited. MSP® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.