P3O(R) Foundation and Practitioner
The Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices (P3O®) guidance provides advice, supported by discussion and examples, on how to develop a governance structure that helps optimize an organization's investment in change alongside its business as usual work.
The P3O Foundation and Practitioner course, based on the 2013 guidance, comprises five days of trainer led instruction. The course will to provide delegates with a comprehensive and applied understanding of the P3O advice and prepare delegates for the P3O Foundation and Practitioner Certificate examination.
This course is aimed at members of offices within a P3O model or anyone who needs to understand the terminology and concepts underpinning a P3O.
- Senior managers wishing to gain an understanding of possible structures for supporting business change and the type and level of support that can be provided by Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices
- Senior Managers, Programme and Project Managers who require an understanding of how portfolio and programme offices can add value and enhance the delivery of strategic business change, benefits and capability
- Managers and/or staff who have been tasked to create delivery support structures and mechanisms within their organisation
- Experienced portfolio or programme office managers who need to review, revitalise or tailor current portfolio or programme office provision
- Portfolio office or programme office staff who need to understand the importance of their role
- Staff responsible for programme/project assurance
At the end of this course you will understand:
- How portfolio, programmes and projects relate
- Why it is important to provide appropriate support at all these levels
- The value of a P3O to the organization
- How to identify a 'best-in-class' P3O model
- How to identify different models for support provision, and the factors that influence their design
- To recognise the roles within a P3O
- To apply the main P3O principles
- how to identify the tools and techniques that support consistent delivery of functions and services
- Develop the business case required to obtain senior management approval for the P3O
- Identify and build the most appropriate P3O model, which will adapt to the organization's needs, taking account of the organization's size and portfolio, programme and project management maturity
- Identify the most appropriate roles required to populate a specified P3O structure
- Plan the implementation of a P3O
- Choose and use appropriate tools and techniques while running the P3O and advising those who shape the portfolio of programmes and projects.
- The course fee includes the examination fee for the Foundation and Practitioner examination. During the course you will asked to provide written permission which enables QA to pass on your pass mark to your employer.
- Delegates need to have worked in a project/programme environment and understand the basic principles relating to Programme and Project Management.
- A basic understanding of MSP (Managing Successful Programmes) or a Foundation qualification in MSP would be a benefit for this course.
Pre Course Reading
You will be provided with pre-course reading prior to attending the course. This pre-reading is in the form of a PDF and is expected to take approximately two to three hours to complete. This is only a guide and you may wish to spend longer on this activity to help you prepare effectively. Your learning starts with this pre-reading, so please ensure you can complete the pre-course activities in full prior to attending. Learners will be given access to an electronic version of the official manual when accessing their Peoplecert accounts.
Proof of identification
If taking an exam, candidates are required to provide Photo ID with a valid signature e.g. driving license, passport or named work ID badges prior to sitting their exam. Failure to produce this ID will result in their exam results being withheld until proof of ID is provided. Please note that if proof is not provided within 40 days, candidate's exam results will be null and void and a re-sit would be required.
Reasonable Adjustments Policy
The exam provider allows additional time for candidates who have a disability or whose native language differs to that of the examination paper. Ful details and how to apply can be found here www.qa.com/axelosexams. At least two weeks' notice will be required for processing this request. Delegates failing to advise QA and provide evidence when requested, may not be allowed the additional support offered via the policy. QA Exam Administration can be contacted by email email@example.com or by phone +44(0)1793 696162.
Learners undertaking this course will be provided with an eBook of the official course manual to support their learning, instructions on how to access the eBook will be provided with the course joining instructions.
Please note: For open book exams learners are permitted to use a second device to access the official course manual, the use of dual monitors is not permitted during the exam.
Please ensure you bring a device such as a mobile phone, tablet or laptop to be able to load your course material on to as you may need this for use in the evenings.
Introduction and Overview
A high level introduction to the terminology used in the course and sets P3O's into an organisational context
- Definitions of Portfolio, Programmes, Projects and Business as Usual
- Relationships between project, programme, portfolio lifecycles
- High level P3O Model
Why have a P3O?
Examines the reason for having a P3O, and develops the business case to implement or reenergise a P3O.
- The value of a P3O
- Identifying the vision and need for a P3O
- Identifying the stakeholders for a P3O
- Developing a business case for the P3O
- P3O capability and linked benefits
- Overcoming common barriers to successful P3O implementation
Identifying the different ways that an organisation could implement a Portfolio, Programme or Project Office
- Different P3O models
- Sizing and Tailoring an appropriate model
- Functions and services of a P3O
- Integrating to P3O in an organisation
- P3O maturity and evolution
- P3O Roles
Describing the typical roles and responsibilities within a P3O
- Management, generic, and functional roles
- Skills and competencies
- Staffing a P3O office
Operating a P3O
Describing the range of tools and techniques that can be used to support the functions and services of a successful P3O
- the differences between a tool and a technique
- 3 types of tool - Individual, Collaborative and Integrated
- Critical success factors in implementing a tool
- Benefits of various techniques including: Management dashboard, Portfolio prioritisation, Facilitated workshops, Business process swimlanes
Identifying the lifecycle to implement a new, or revitalise an existing P3O, both permanent and temporary offices
- Definition Stage and its key activities
- The Blueprint
- P3O information flows
- Risks to implementing a P3O
PeopleCert exams take place remotely via PeopleCert Online Proctoring, and the afternoon of the last day of your course will continue with your learning until approximately 4.00pm. When booking your exam please ensure that it is for a time after the course has concluded and at a time convenient for you. You will be required to download and install ExamShield and conduct a compatibility test prior to sitting the exam.
The Foundation exam is a multiple choice exam consisting of 70 questions that must be answered in 1 hour. To be successful in this exam the delegate must correctly answer 35 or more questions.
The Practitioner exam is a multiple choice exam consisting of 80 marks (4 questions with 20 marks per question) that must be answered in 2 ½ hours. To be successful in this exam the delegate must get 40 or more marks. The exam allows the use of the 2013 version of the P3O manual. Learners will be informed of their result by the examining body, normally within four weeks of exam completion.
P3O® is a [registered] trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
The Swirl logo™ is a trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.