SAFe (R) Scrum Master
Build your skills as a high-performing team member of an Agile Release Train (ART) and prepare to support the facilitation of ART and team events when you become a SAFe® Scrum Master (SSM).
In this two-day course, you’ll gain an understanding of the role of Scrum Master in a SAFe enterprise. Unlike traditional Scrum Master training that focuses on the fundamentals of team-level Scrum, the SAFe Scrum Master course explores the role of the Scrum Master in the context of the entire enterprise, and prepares you to successfully plan and execute the Planning Interval (PI), the primary enabler of alignment throughout all levels of a SAFe organization.
To perform the role of a SAFe Scrum Master, attendees should be able to:
- Describe Scrum in a SAFe enterprise
- Facilitate Scrum events
- Facilitate effective Iteration execution
- Support effective Planning Interval (PI)execution
- Support relentless improvement
- Coach Agile teams for maximum business results
- Support DevOps implementation
There are around 3 hours of mostly video-led learning – supported by additional reading – that will be accessed through SAFe studio. An account will need to be set up for this, but all instructions and support will be provided. This will be sent to all learners approximately 1 week prior to the course start date.
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, the following prerequisites are highly recommended for those who intend to take the SAFe® Scrum Master (SSM) 6.0 certification exam:
- Familiarity with Agile concepts and principles
- Awareness of Scrum, Kanban, and XP
- Working knowledge of software and hardware development processes
Intended for people new to the role of Scrum Master, or people wanting to better understand the role and how it fits in a SAFe enterprise, attendees typically include:
- New or existing Scrum Masters
- Team Leads
- Introducing Scrum in SAFe
- Characterizing the role of the Scrum Master
- Experiencing PI planning
- Facilitating Iteration execution
- Finishing the Planning Interval (PI)
- Coaching the Agile team
What attendees get
Class registration includes:
- Attendee workbook
- Preparation and eligibility to take the SAFe® Scrum Master (SSM) 6.0 certification exam
- One–year membership to SAFe Studio
- Course certificate of completion
Attendees must attend both days of the course in order to qualify for the exam.
- Exam name: SSM (6.0) - SAFe® Scrum Master
- Exam format: Multiple choice
- Exam delivery: Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access: Candidates can access the exam within SAFe Studio upon completion of the SAFe® Scrum Master course
- Exam duration: Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions: 45
- Passing score: 73%
- Language: English
- Exam cost: First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy: Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any retake questions.
- Please note that, in the event of cancellation within 1 week of the course start date, that £120 of the course fee is non-refundable as this is the cost to register each learner for the SAFe site for the exam.
SAFe Certification Kit
Attendees who pass the certification exam will receive:
- SAFe® Scrum Master certificate
- A SAFe® Scrum Master 6.0 digital badge to promote your accomplishment online
- A one-year certified membership, which includes access to the SAFe Studio platform.
- Access to a variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey
Professional Development Units (PDUs) and Scrum Education Units (SEUs)
- Attendees may be eligible to apply for 15 PDUs toward your continuing education requirements with the Project Management Institute (PMI) for PMP, PgMP, and PMI-ACP certifications
- Attendees may be eligible to apply for SEUs under Category C, toward earning or renewing your CSP through Scrum Alliance