This FitSM Foundation training course gives you insight into the basic IT service management concepts and terms, the purpose and structure of FitSM standards and their relationship to other standards, and understand the process framework underlying FitSM and the requirements defined within it. This training course highlights how to benefit from this IT service management standard.
FitSM is a lightweight standards family aimed at facilitating service management in IT service provision, including federated scenarios. The main goal of the FitSM family is to maintain a clear, pragmatic, lightweight and achievable standard that allows for effective IT service management (ITSM). The development of the FitSM standards was supported and funded by the European Commission through the EC-FP7 project "FedSM“
FitSM is designed to be compatible with the International Standard ISO/IEC 20000-1 (requirements for a service management system) and the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL®). Although the FitSM process model, requirements, recommended activities and role model target a lightweight implementation, it can act as a first step to introducing “full” ITSM, i.e. applying ITIL good practices and / or achieving compliance against ISO/IEC 20000-1. The FitSM family is made up of several documents, providing guidance and input on different aspects of ITSM in federated ICT infrastructures.
All individuals involved in the provisioning of (federated) IT services. Candidates who wish to progress to advanced level of the qualification and certification scheme.
Why IT service management (ITSM) matters?
About 80% of all IT service outages originate from people and process issues. Duration of outages and degradations significantly dependent on non-technical factors. IT service management aims at providing high quality IT services meeting customers' and users' expectations by defining, establishing and maintaining service management processes. FitSM is a lightweight standards family aimed at facilitating IT service management.
After the training course you demonstrate understading of:
- Basic IT service management concepts and terms
- Purpose and structure of FitSM standards and their relationship to other standards
- Process framework underlying FitSM
- Requirements defined in FitSM – enabling you to adopt implementation more quickly and efficiently
No prerequisites required for the FitSM Foundation course and exam.
Content of FitSM Foundation training
- IT Service Management: Introduction, Terms & Concepts
- The FitSM Standards Family
- IT Service Management – General Aspects
- IT Service Management – Processes
- Benefits, Risks & Challenges of Implementing IT Service Management
- Related Standards & Frameworks
FitSM Foundation certification exam
- 30 minutes
- In English
- Closed book, i.e. no aids are allowed
- 20 multiple choice questions (four possible answers for each question, one correct answer per question)
- At least 65% correct answers (13 of 20) are required to pass the examination
- The certification test is organized by an independent third party. The certification test is not included in the training. We recommend that you take the certificate exam in few days after the course. Book and pay your own exam (79 eur per person) from ICO-CERT
- You take the certification test online at your computer at the time most convenient to you.
- The FitSM certificate does not expire and there is no annual fee.
The material (and optional exam) are in English. Training is run in Finnish or in English, see information next to the training date.
FitSM® is a registered trademark of ITEMO e.V.
ITIL® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.